Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why fishing really is enjoyable

Matthew and I went fishing today. Thw two of us jumped in a fishing boat with a trolling motor and trolled around the lake casting for trout. We didn't catch a thing, but we got a lot out of it.

I have never really fished much and the times I have fished never really caught anything substantial. I thought fishing was not a good use of time, just sitting there, waiting. Today was different, Matthew and I talked and floated around the lake, no distractions just us talking about fishing and and the weather. After today I realized that if spending times with him cost me a boat it would be worth every penny. Time spent "just doing nothing" is sometimes the most valuable time we have with our children. Spending time with these little kids, doing what they do, will pay possibly the biggest dividends for seemingly so little doing. It will be something I look back on with fondness for a long time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder, Peter. I'm afraid we can get too busy sometimes with 'living' that we forget the simple things. Enjoy those young ones while you have them. I'm starting to realize as my kids are getting older that I missed out on a few things when they were younger by being at work convincing myself that's where I needed to be. It's never too late to spend that 'nothing time' with them. I know they appreciate it :)